T-6D "HOG WILD GUNNER"

Specs

General Info

Specific Info

  • Max Speed: 205 mph
  • Cruising Speed: 150 mph
  • Range: 750 miles
  • Service Ceiling: 21,500 feet
  • Wingspan: 42’ 0”
  • Length: 28’ 11”
  • Height: 11’ 8”
  • Weight: 5,250 lbs normal

 

Armament

 

Two 30 cal forward firing machine guns, 100 lbs and 25 lbs bombs

 

Engine

 

600hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340-AN1 air cooled radial

 

The North American T-6 Texan is a single-engine advanced trainer aircraft used to train fighter pilots of the United States Army Air Forces, United States Navy, Royal Air Force and other air forces of the British Commonwealth during World War II. Designed by North American Aviation, The T-6 is known by a variety of designations depending on the model and operating air force. The USAAC designated it as the “AT-6”, the US Navy the “SNJ”, and British Commonwealth air forces, the “Harvard”, the name it is best known by outside of North America. Variations and production continued until the early 50’s. During the Korean War and to a lesser extent, the Vietnam war, T-6s were pressed into service as forward air control aircraft. These aircraft were designated T-6 “Mosquito”s.

 

After serving in the military, many a venerable T6 went on to be used in the civilian world as a racer and as a safe and reliable way to ‘get into’ warbirds. Today, of the 17,000 T6’s that were built, about 350 remain in flying condition.

 

 

Built in 1942, this T-6D was one of several sold to the Spanish Air Force as a trainer and attack aircraft. Because it was in a foreign country, it was not re-purchased by the US Army Air Forces for upgrade to the T-6G variant.  It was brought back to the USA in 1991 with several other T-6’s, named “The Spanish Fly,” and returned to flying service in 1992.  It was purchased by Greg in the fall of 1999 and has been flown steadily ever since.  One of the early roles of this aircraft was tail gunnery training.  This one still has the roll forward rear canopy and a rear seat that turns to face backward to accommodate that training.  Part of the restoration included putting in a mock 30cal flex gun to bring back the look of that capability. The aircraft now sports the same paint scheme that the Idaho Air National Guard had on the few T-6’s they had as landing currency trainers during their P-51 days. This airplane is owned by Greg who flew A-10’s for the 190th Fighter Squadron, Idaho Air National Guard; thus the “Buzz number” is “TA-10”.

 

HFM’s Executive Director, Greg Anders, purchased the aircraft for his own use and to fly in support of the Museum in 1999. It is a mainstay at Museum events, is used for formation flight proficiency, and supports Veteran and other memorial fly-bys.

 

 

15053 Crosswind Dr Burlington, WA 98233

 

 

 

  • Specs

    • Max Speed: 205 mph
    • Cruising Speed: 150 mph
    • Range: 750 miles
    • Service Ceiling: 21,500 feet
    • Wingspan: 42’ 0”
    • Length: 28’ 11”
    • Height: 11’ 8”
    • Weight: 5,250 lbs normal

     

    Armament

     

    Two 30 cal forward firing machine guns, 100 lbs and 25 lbs bombs

     

    Engine

     

    600hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340-AN1 air cooled radial

  • General Info

    The North American T-6 Texan is a single-engine advanced trainer aircraft used to train fighter pilots of the United States Army Air Forces, United States Navy, Royal Air Force and other air forces of the British Commonwealth during World War II. Designed by North American Aviation, The T-6 is known by a variety of designations depending on the model and operating air force. The USAAC designated it as the “AT-6”, the US Navy the “SNJ”, and British Commonwealth air forces, the “Harvard”, the name it is best known by outside of North America. Variations and production continued until the early 50’s. During the Korean War and to a lesser extent, the Vietnam war, T-6s were pressed into service as forward air control aircraft. These aircraft were designated T-6 “Mosquito”s.

     

    After serving in the military, many a venerable T6 went on to be used in the civilian world as a racer and as a safe and reliable way to ‘get into’ warbirds. Today, of the 17,000 T6’s that were built, about 350 remain in flying condition.

  • Specific Info

    Built in 1942, this T-6D was one of several sold to the Spanish Air Force as a trainer and attack aircraft. Because it was in a foreign country, it was not re-purchased by the US Army Air Forces for upgrade to the T-6G variant.  It was brought back to the USA in 1991 with several other T-6’s, named “The Spanish Fly,” and returned to flying service in 1992.  It was purchased by Greg in the fall of 1999 and has been flown steadily ever since.  One of the early roles of this aircraft was tail gunnery training.  This one still has the roll forward rear canopy and a rear seat that turns to face backward to accommodate that training.  Part of the restoration included putting in a mock 30cal flex gun to bring back the look of that capability. The aircraft now sports the same paint scheme that the Idaho Air National Guard had on the few T-6’s they had as landing currency trainers during their P-51 days. This airplane is owned by Greg who flew A-10’s for the 190th Fighter Squadron, Idaho Air National Guard; thus the “Buzz number” is “TA-10”.

     

    HFM’s Executive Director, Greg Anders, purchased the aircraft for his own use and to fly in support of the Museum in 1999. It is a mainstay at Museum events, is used for formation flight proficiency, and supports Veteran and other memorial fly-bys.