Location: Hangar 1


Related Aircraft:

Interstate Cadet “The Pearl”

Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero Replica


Key Artifacts:

Nambu Pistol – donated by Vincent Hill and Family

Japanese Camera Gun – donated by Don Ness

Katana and Wakizashi – On Loan from Greg Anders


Detailed Story:

Saturday, December 6


Washington DC -


President Franklin Roosevelt makes a final appeal to the Emperor of Japan for peace and receives no reply. Later in the day, the U.S. code-breaking services intercepts a 14 part Japanese message and deciphers the first 13 parts, passing them on to the president. Americans believe an attack is imminent, but more likely to happen somewhere in Southeast Asia.


Sunday December 7


Washington DC –


9:00am EST The last part of the Japanese message is received and decoded. It states that diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Japan are to be broken off.


10:00am Another message is intercepted, instructing the Japanese embassy to deliver the first message to the Americans at 1:00 p.m., which corresponds to early morning in Oahu. Delays prevented a warning telegram from reaching Oahu until four hours after the attack had already begun.


Hawaii –


Under the command of Admiral Nagumo, the Japanese attack force prepares to attack with six aircraft carriers and a total of 423 planes.


6:00 a.m. HST The first attack wave of 183 Japanese planes take off from the carriers located 230 miles north of Oahu.


7:02 a.m. Two Army operators at Oahu’s northern shore radar station detect the Japanese air attack approaching and contact a junior officer who disregards their reports, thinking they are American B-17 planes which are expected in from the U.S. west coast.


7:15 a.m. The second wave of 167 planes take off from Japanese carriers and head for Pearl Harbor.


At this time, Senior commanders did not believe there was a threat to Pearl Harbor. Aircraft were left parked wingtip to wingtip on airfields and anti-aircraft guns are unmanned. Many officers and crewman were operating at their leisure due to it being Sunday morning.


7:48 a.m. The first wave of Japanese aircraft – 48 “Val” dive bombers, 48 “Kate” torpedo bombers, 40 high level bombers, and 41 “Zero” fighters – commenced the attack.


The first wave targeted airfields and battleships. The second wave targeted other ships and shipyard facilities. The air raid lasted until 9:45 a.m. Eight battleships were damaged, five sunk. Three light cruisers, three destroyers, and three smaller vessels were lost along with 188 aircraft.


The total number of casualties included 2,335 military personnel, including 2,008 Navy personnel, 109 marines, and 218 army. Added to this were 68 civilians, making the total 2,403 people dead. 1,177 were from the USS Arizona.


December 8


The United States and Britain declare war on Japan.




15053 Crosswind Dr Burlington, WA 98233